Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Please help indentify horn enclosure

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a non-Altec cabinet, if I'm not mistaken. Never saw one before in an Altec install or product catalogue, to my recollection.

    Probably built by an audiophile...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Please help indentify horn enclosure


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Pic not showing up on my end. Just a placeholder.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    could someone tell me what typ of enclosure this is:

    4

    ...looks very nice!

    Greetings Barossi

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Old guy,

    here is a link to the enclosure:

    Horn enclosure

    Greetings Barossi

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Please help indentify horn enclosure


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Aw, cmon. You got to come up with a better challenge than that. Did this one first thing in the morning on half a cup of coffee. JBL 4560

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page09.jpg

    JBL's answer to the VOT, very popular in late "70'/ early 80's sound reinforcement. Originally marketed to theatres, they didn't sell there because Altec OWNED the market at that point.

    The standard bar band had a pair of these and some sort of horns. Altec 511's with JBL 2470's was mostly what I sold at the time.

    I think they were built on an island called No Bass Atoll. Defined the "Just Big and Loud" label.
    They were loud. Probably 2 db hotter than an A7 from 200 Hz up.

    I had blueprints for those, we probably built and sold several hundred of them. Their main saving grace was they stacked a lot better than A7's. With enough RCA W bins underneath they could be made to sound decent.

    Very obsolete by today's standards. Most mid horns now use 12's, and are 60 versus 90 degree. They are stacked and splayed for coverage.

    BTW if anybody has a set of prints, I need a set for my collection. Actually I think I need all the old JBL SR prints.

    Last I checked I've got on the order of 600-700 prints. Kind of an obsession. Maybe I should find some free web space to post them all. Might make an interesting place to poke around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.